Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh HAPPY day!!!

My Peyton puppy has arrived!! Got the call last night that the puppies were born sometime Wednesday night. I couldn't contain myself so we drove over this morning to see them. Mom had a litter of NINE!! OMG they are so adorable...look like little hampsters, lol. I knew from the beginning that I wanted a red and white (or sable and white) male. Without disturbing them too much I think I counted 7 females and 2 males. One tricolor male and one sable male. So I'm pretty sure the one I took pics of is my little Peyton!

For those that don't know the story...In September I purchased a beautiful little 9 week old Corgi puppy that I named Devon. He quickly became one of my children and I adored him. He never left my side and was just a delight to have around. At his first vet visit (for his second set of puppy shots) the vet detected a fairly concerning heart murmur. So I took him to have xrays done. What they found was devastating. He had what is known as PDA or Patent Ductus Arteriosus. Basically when he was born two vessels in his heart did not close like they should have. Causing his heart to work overtime to supply his lungs and body with oxygen. In turn his heart grew so large that it was pressing his esophogus so that he couldn't breath. We prepared ourselves for the enevitable and within 2 days it was so bad I had to make the dreaded decision to have him put to sleep. I feel I helped him cross the Rainbow Bridge with dignity.From the moment that I lost my little Devon there has been an empty space in my heart. I knew that I couldn't replace him but also knew that I needed to fill that empty spot. I contacted his breeder and she graciously offered me a puppy from their next litter. Just the thought of having a small PART of my little man back gave me the chills. So after patiently waiting I was informed that the breeder had bred Devons sire to a different female. This actually made me feel better as PDA can be genetic. This brings us up to date...and why today is such a HAPPY day!

Below are a few snap shots I took during our little visit today. Aren't they TINY and ADORABLE!?!?

No comments: